Ankara’nın İngilizce Tanıtımı 2

Ankara’nın İngilizce Tanıtımı 2

Ataturk’s House (Museum)

The AtatürkMuseum In The Atatürk Model Farm

The RailwayMuseum

Built in 1924, this historic stone-cut building consists of two floors, each 340 square metres. Exhibited here are items demonstrating the technological developments of the state railroad.

Museum Tel : (+90 312) 310 35 00.

Opening hours: 1330-1700, except Sundays and Mondays.

The Ankara Ataturk Cultural Centre & Museum of the Revolution of the Republic

Opening on December 27 1987, the walls of the ground floor are covered with reliefs depicting the War of Independence, the reforms, the Republic of Ataturk, and his ideas concerning art, youth and independence. One by one the different sections of the wall are lit up and the visitor is taken on a tour of the reliefs with a musical accompaniment. These demonstrations have been prepared in Turkish, English, German and French.

In the basement, the War of Independence, reforms and development of Turkey and the relevant institutions that played an important role, are documented through words, pictures and models. There is also a 25-minute multimedia presentation documenting the Turkish journey from Central Asia, to the founding of a republic after the War of Independence, and all of Atatürk’s reforms which followed.

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 342 10 10

Opening hours: 0830-1730, closed Saturdays and Sundays

MTANaturalHistoryMuseum

In the museum are examples from the fields of paleontology and geography, including fossils, minerals and rocks. There is also the skeleton of the Maras Elephant, the giant Amonit that lived in the vicinity of Ankara 193 million years ago, and the fossilised footprints of humans who lived in Anatolia 25,000 years ago and were found in Manisa.

Museum Tel : (+90 312) 287 34 30

Opening hours: Weekdays – 0900-1700. Weekends 1000-1500.

METUMuseum

The museum, found on the campus of the Middle East Technical University (Orta Dogu Teknik Universitesi), has exhibits featuring the slowly disappearing folk art, and finds from archeological excavations. There are artifacts recovered from the Phrygian tumulus in Besevler belonging to the Chalcolithic, Early Bronze and Phrygian periods.

Museum Tel : (+90 312) 210 1010

Opening hours: 0830-1700, except Saturday and Sunday.

GordionMuseum

The museum was established in 1963 beside the tiny village now known as Yassihoyuk. Today, the Gordion Museum offers a chronological exhibition with characteristic examples from each of the periods represented. There are three displays consisting of artifacts from the Early Bronze age, featuring King Midas and ending with the Phrygian Era. Among the exhibits are clay jars from the Late Iron Age, and cutting tools and instruments used in textile production belonging to the Late Phrygian Era.

In the Panoramic display, located in the new exhibition room, there is a typical structure dating back to the 7th century BC which was found in a strata belonging to the conquest of the city. The last section gives visitors a chance to see seals and coins recovered from Gordion.

The new excavations have been planted with trees that the Phrygians used to make their furniture: cedar, aromatic juniper, Turkish boxwood, yellow pine, walnut and yew. The newly arrived Mosaics and the Celtic Grave is another section. The Gordion Museum consists of the exhibition hall, the new exhibition hall, the Phrygian Mosaics, the Administrative offices, Toilets, Storage, the Laboratory, the Mosaics, the Celtic Grave and the living quarters.

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 638 2188

Opening hours: Summer – 0830-1730 daily. Winter – 0830-1700, except Monday.

Beypazarı Culture and History Museum

Alagoz Military Headquarters Museum

When the Turkish army was retreating to the Sakarya Line during the War of Independence, Commander-in-Chief Mustafa Kemal Ataturk set up his headquarters and directed the war from this farmhouse, decorated in typical Turkish taste.

The building, once used as a military headquarters, was donated by the sons of Mahmut and Serafettin Turkoglu, the sons of Turkoglu Ali, to be used as a museum and built by the National Education Ministry. The building and its garens were restored by the ministry and ceremonially opened to visitors on November 10 1968. Today it is a branch of Anitkabir Museum and some of Ataturk’s garments and weapons are also displayed.

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 641 65 13

Opening days to visit: Everyday except Saturday and Sunday.

State Meteorological Service’s Museum

Used as War Department Staff Headquarters during the War of Independence, this historic building with its modern equipment serves over 1100 stations of varying size. The room in which Ataturk stayed and laid out strategy for the battles of the War of Independence have been turned into a museum called Ataturk’s Room. The stove, table and curtains found in the room are all original. In addition, the Meteorology Museum with its old tools and devices used for predicting weather, is open to visitors.

Opening hours: 0900-1200 & 1400-1700.

VehbiKocMuseum and the AnkaraResearchCenter (VEKAM)

The house in Kecioren which belonged to Vehbi Koc, was restored and opened in 1994 as the Research Centre. The archives contain a wide selection of books, documents, photographs and films regarding Vehbi Koc and Ankara. It is open to researchers and the public.

Opening hours: 0900-1730, except Tuesdays.

The Toy Museum The Toy Museum is part of the Education Science Faculty of Ankara University Museum.

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 363 33 50

CankayaKöşkMuseum

Museum of the State Cemetery

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 221 0627

Opening hours: Summer – 09.30-17.00. Winter: 0930-1630. Weekends 10.00-17.00, except Mondays and Tuesdays.

EducationMuseum

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 311 95 56 / 311 30 07

Opening hours: 0830-1230 & 1330-1730, except Mondays

The Museum of Professional Education Faculty of GaziUniversity

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 212 6 60/45

Opening hours: 0830-1200 & 1300-1730, except Saturdays and Sundays.

AerospaceMuseum

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 244 85 50 / 4059 / 4114

Opening hours: 0900-1630, except Mondays and Tuesdays

Mehmet Akif Ersoy House

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 305 21 23

Opening hours: 0830-1200 & 1330-1730, except Saturdays and Sundays

The Museum House of Mehmet Akif Ersoy

Ataturk Residence during the National Struggle

Tel: (+90 312) 309 05 15 / 40 84

Opening hours: 0900-1200 & 1300-1700, except Sundays and Mondays.

Mapping Museum of Ministry of National Defence General Command of Mapping

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 363 70 09 / 2038

100th YearSportsHistoryMuseum

Atatürk’s Residence During The War of Independence

The Postal ServiceStampMuseum

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 316 62 63

Opening hours: 0830-1230 & 1330-1730, except Saturdays and Sundays.

Museum of T.C. Ziraat Bankası

The National Education Administration’s Museum for the 75th Anniversary of the Turkish Republic.

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 310 37 50 / 4348

Opening hours: 0830-1230 & 1330-1730, except Saturdays and Sundays.

Sefik Bursali Historic House

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 441 2390

Opening hours: 0900-1200 & 1300-1700, except Monday.

GirlsTechnicalEducationInstituteMuseum

The ToyMuseum of the Faculty of Educational Sciences (AnkaraUniversity)

ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS, ANCIENTCITIES

Gordion

The capital city of the Phrygian empire, the remains of the renowned city of Gordion are near the Ankara-Eskisehir highway at the confluence of the Sakarya and Porsuk rivers, 21 km northwest of Polatli, and 90 km from Ankara, in the village of Yassihoyuk.
The history of Gordion goes back to 3000 BC (Early Bronze Age). It was an important settlement during the Assyrian and Hittite periods (1950 BC – 1180 BC) and, of course, the Phrygian era (900 BC – 620 BC), during which it was the capital city. It was named after King Gordios, the king who made it the capital. The famous knot made by King Gordios was cut in two by Alexander the Great in 333 BC, when he wintered in Gordion.

The period of Alexander the Great (300 BC -100 BC) began in Gordion with his conquest. Following that, the area came under the control of the Romans (1st century BC to 4th century AD) and then the Selcuks (11th – 13th century AD). All of this occurred in the short space of 4000 years.

GordionMuseum

Ahlatlibel

Ahlatlibel is located 14 km southwest of Ankara on the old Taspinar Village – Gavurkale – Haymana road. This Early Bronze Age site was an important settlement in Anatolia.

Bitik

The Bitik Tumulus is 42 km northwest of Ankara. The excavations have uncovered, from top to bottom, dwellings belonging to the Classic Age of the 5th century BC and going back to the Late Bronze Age. The Phrygian and Hittite dwellings are less important than the others. The artifacts at Bitik from the Late Bronze Age document the interest in Eastern and Western Anatolia.

Etiyokusu

Located 5 km north of Ankara on the banks of Cubuk Creek, it was excavated in 1937 by Professor Sevket Aziz Kansu under the auspices of the Turkish History Association. At the lowest level, tools belonging to the Late Stone Age were recovered. The level above that was similar to the culture of the Early Bronze, and that of nearby Ahlatlibel. At the very top level the remains of a large palace belonging to the different periods were unearthed.

Gavurkale

60 km southwest of Ankara, this area from the bed of Babayakup Creek, which flows right beside the hill, has been the site of continuous settlement. The hill was given the name Gavurkale (Infidel Castle) because of the broken down walls.

Gavurkale has drawn the attention of many. On the southern exposure of the steep cliffs is a relief of two gods walking, one behind the other, and across from them sits a goddess. There is a wall made of gigantic stone blocks surrounding this rocky outcrop. The stone reliefs here is just one example of these uniquely Hittite monuments found scattered throughout the country.

Researchers have determined that this was an important walled city. At first it was thought to have been a Hittite worship centre, but later it was realised that the Phrygians settled here as well. The site was visited in 1930 by Ataturk himself. In the following years a number of surface investigations were conducted, and in 1998 new excavations were begun at Gavurkale by the Chair of the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations.

Karalar

Karalar is a village about 60 km northwest of Ankara, and is important because of the fact that it witnessed continuous settlement during the Classic Age. In the region known as Asarkaya, the architectural remains of a Celtic castle. Artifacts belonging to the Hellenistic Age have been found in the tumulus. Ancient coins discovered in the area indicate that there were commercial ties with Egypt and Syria.

The Temple of Augustus

Situated adjacent to the Haci Bayram Mosque in Ulus, the temple was built in the 2nd century BC in honour of the Phrygian Goddess Men. The remains of the temple we see today are those of the temple built in honour of the Roman Emperor Augustus as a sign of fidelity by the King Pylamenes, the son of the Celtic ruler Amintos. During Byzantine times windows and other additions were made and it was turned into a church.

The perimeter is made up on four walls lined with columns, and around it are the column holders: 15 down the length of each side, six along the width, four in front of the temple door and two in the back. The only standing part of the temple is the door with its ornately carved posts. A copy of Emperor Augustus’s last will and testament, the original of which is found in the Temple in Rome, enumerates his accomplishments and is located on the temple wall adjacent to the tomb.

Julian’s Column

This is located beside the pool between the financial directorate and the governor’s building.. It is about 15m high, with a number of rings along its length, and has no inscriptions. It is said to have been set up in honour of Emperor Julian when he passed through Ankara (361-363 AD). It is known locally as the Belkis Minaret.

Roman Baths

Located on Cankiri Street between Ulus Square and Yildirim Bayazit Square, the baths sit on a platform about 2.5m above the street.

The baths date back to Caracalla (212-217 AD). The Cankiri Street entrance to the Caracalla baths leads to a wrestling arena, which was covered with a portico surrounded with columns. On one side of this courtyard are 32 columns with a total of 128 over the whole area. The actual baths are located immediately behind the wrestling arena. Besides the unusually large size of the structure, the baths have a very typical layout consisting of the Apoditerium (dressing area), the Frigidarium (cold-section), the Tepidarium (warm section) and the Caldarium (hot section).

AnkaraRomanTheatre

Located between Hisar and Pinar streets, the theare was first discovered in 1982 and a salvage excavation began on March 15 1983 by the Museum Administration. The Museum of Anatolian Civilizations continued the excavations until 1986. What was uncovered was the remains of a typical Roman theatre dating back to the 2nd century AD. In addition to a number of statues and statue pieces, all that remains are the foundations and walls of what was once a vaulted parados building, orchestra, amphitheatre and a stage.

Akkopru

This, the oldest bridge in Ankara, crosses the Ankara Creek in front of Varlik Mahallesi. The Selcuk ruler Alaaddin Keykubat I had it built in 1222 while Kizilbey was governor of Ankara.

Hoyuk (Tumulus)

Located with the boundaries of Turkhoyuk village, it consists mainly of marble columns and gravestones belonging to the Roman and Byzantine eras.

Kul Hoyuk is situated within the city limits of the town of Oyaca. It is reached by turning right about 50 km out on the Ankara-Haymana highway, towards the villages of Boyalik, Culuk, Calis and Durupinar. The tumulus is 1.5 km down this road on the right-hand side.

There are continuing excavations going on in this medium-sized tumulus, under the direction of the Museum of Anatolia Civilizations. The Hittite Cult Centre, 8 km to the west near Gavurkale, indicates that this was probably an important Hittite settlement.

Besides the hidden cistern, built in the traditional style of grand monumental Hittite, there are the remains of huge foundations which can most likely be dated back to the Early Bronze Age and the beginning of the Hittite Empire. In light of the ceramic, bronze and other archeological finds, it is known that the area was inhabited about 5000 years ago.

Karaoglan

Karaoglan is 25 km from Ankara along the road to Konya. The different strata in the tumulus have yielded remains from the following cultures: Chalcolithic, Early Bronze, Hittite, Phrygian, Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine. This is one of the most important Hittite and Phrygian sites in the Ankara Golbasi region.

Bestepeler Tumulus was the first to be excavated, in 1926 by Makridi. In 1945, during construction in the area, it became necessary to remove several of the tumuluses. Two of them were investigated and a number of clay jars and other tools belonging to the Phrygians were recovered. Experts concluded that these were contemporaries of the Phrygian graves at Gordion. It was at this time that they realised that the Phrygians placed their dead in graves dug on level ground, and then built a structure over the site with logs. The whole thing was then covered with dirt from the surrounding area to make a small hill. The dead were always buried with a number of gifts.

Yumurtatepe (Demetevler) Tumulus is on the left hand side of the road at the Ciftlik – Demetevler intersection. It was excavated by the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations during the 1986 and 1987 excavation seasons, which identified the tumulus as belonging to the Early Bronze Age. It is a single structure, and a number of earthenware vessels were recovered.

FORTRESSES, CASTLES

AnkaraCastle

The castle, which has guarded the city for centuries, is now a symbol of Ankara and its history is as old as the city itself. Although it is not exactly known when the castle was built, it is commonly believed to have been built by the Romans, then repaired and expanded by the Selcuks. It towers 110 meters above Bentdere Creek (Hatip Creek) which runs along its base.

There are two parts, an inner and an outer castle, with over 20 towers. The outer castle encloses the old city of Ankara within its heart-shaped walls. The four-level inner castle is made partly of Ankara stone and partly of stones gathered from other structures. The two large gates of the inner castle are called the Outer Gate and the Castle Gate. The towers within the castle vary between 14-16 metres in height. Today within the castle walls there are a number of Ottoman-style houses dating as far back as the 17th century.

KalecikCastle

Kalecik Castle is 78 km from Ankara on the road to Cankiri, and is a strong landmark from the modern town as it was founded on a cone-shaped hill. It is connected to the mountains in the southwest by a ridge and sits high above the plain formed by the Kizilirmak (Red River).

RELIGIOUS MONUMENTS
Some of the city’s most important mosques are: Agac Ayak, Ahi Elvan, Ahi Yakup, Aslanhane (Ahi Serafettin), Cenab-i Ahmet Pasa, Alaaddin, Cicekcioglu, Direkli, Eskicioglu, Hacettepe, Haci Arap, Haci Bayram, Ibadullah, Karacabey, Kocatepe, Kursunlu, Tabakhane, Tacettin and Zincirli.

Hacı Bayram Mosque

Hacı Bayram-ı Veli

Hacı Bayram-ı Veli, whose real name was Numan-bin Koyunluca Ahmet was born in the Solfasol village of Ankara in 1352 (753 H.)

He is the founder of the Bayrami sect, a sufi poet and composer of hymns. Upon competing his education in Ankara and Bursa, he started to teach at the theological school called Karamedrese in Ankara, which was built by a philantrophic lady called Meklike Hatun.

Hacı Bayram Mosque

It is located in the Ulus section of Ankara next to the Augustus temple.

Originally built in 831 H (1427/28), the mosque as it stands today shows the characteristics of late 17th century and 18th century mosques.

It has a lengthwise rectangular plan and the sections at north and west are later additions.

At the south east wall of the mausoleum, there is a two – gallery minaret with a square plan, stone base and brick body.

There is an inscription of Word of the God (Kelime-i Tevhid) in large Arabic calligraphy (sülüs) on the protrouting southern wall of the late-comer’s section.

Single interior space is covered with a wooden ceiling. The hexagonal large rosette in the center of the ceiling is framed with six rows of flowered borders. The same rosette in smaller scale can be seen on the central rectangular panel of the ceiling of the annexed section west to the women’s section. The edges of the ceiling of the inner space of the mosque are decorated with flower patterned cornices. The same type of cornices are also used in the women’s section.

The lower windows of the mosque are rectangular and have iron grids. On the exterior they are bordered with niches with pointed arches. Upper windows are pointed arched, have plaster gratings and stained glass and bordered with chiselled plant motives.

On the interior, Kütahya tiles are placed up to the top of the windows. After the tiles, transition to plain wall is made with a border of chiselled palmette.

The plaster Mihrab is built with a moulding technique and is in the form of stalacti niched. Pieces from Koran are inscribed in five rows on the pediment of the Mihrab

The Word of God can be seen on Mihrab borders as decoration. Colored Mimbar is made with false “kündekari” technique and displays a fine workmanship.

The painted engravings on wood are made by the engraver Nakkaş Mustafa. Two inscriptions on kıble side indicate that the mosque was restored in 1714 by one of the grandsons of Hacı Bayram-ı Veli, Mehmet Baba.

Hacı Bayram Mausoleum

The mausoleum which is dated as 1429, is next to thee mihrab wall of the mosque.

It is a structure with a square plan, octagonal drum and a leaded dome covers it. The front façade is marble. Portal is particularly defined on the façade. It has a slided arch decorated with black and white marbles in a rectangular frame and on the inside there is an entrance door arch decorated with interlocking colored stones in a zig zag pattern. The wooden exterior and interior entrance doors are at Ankara Ethnography Museum. The window to the left of the portal is bordered with a multi colored friese and has iron grills. This is one of the best examples of 15 th century mausaleums of Ankara

There is another mausoleum in the garden of the mosque which has octagonal plan and a dome. This work which is known as Osman Fazıl Pasha Mausoleum belongs to the 18th century.

Ankara Augustus Temple

It was built by the Roman Emperor Augustus, probably in the years 25 – 20 B.C at the location which was the Kyble and Men sacred location. The marble temple which is 36 x 54,82 stands on a multi- step podium

The temple is significant for its Latin and greek inscriptions which depict the doings of Augustus. Augustus Tampe has survived until our times in considerably good shape

Tombs

Ahi Serafettin, Azimi (Ismail Pasazade Haci Esad), Cenab-i Ahmet Pasa, Hacibayram Veli, Ismail Fazil Pasa, Karacabey, Karyagdi, Kesikbas, and Yoruk Dede (Dogan Bey).

Catholic Churches

St. Paul’s Church

118 Ataturk Bulvari No, Kavaklidere (In the grounds of the Italian Embassy)
Tel: (+90 312) 426 65 18

St. Theresa Church

Isiklar Caddesi, 15 Kardesler Sokak, Ulus
Tel: (+90 312) 311 01 18

Mother Mary Church

Birlik Mah. 3, Cad. No. 35 Oyak, Cankaya (Beside the Vatican Embassy)

Tel: (+90 312) 495 35 23
Service times: Sunday: 09.45 (English) 11.00 (French)

Anglican Church

St. Nicholas Church Sehit Ersan Cad. 46, Cankaya (Inside the Embassy of Great Britain) Tel: (+90 312) 468 62 30 / 32 85
Service times: Sunday 10.00 (English)

Synagogue

Sakalar Mah. Birlik Sok. 8, Samanpazari
Tel: (+90 312) 311 62 00

INNS, CARAVANSERAIS, SHOPS, BAZAARS

Cengel Inn

It is located below the castle, on Sefa Street in Atpazari Square. From the inscriptions found there, it is concluded that it was built in 1522.

Kursunlu Inn

On the road leading to Ankara Castle, it was built by Fatih’s vizier, Mahmut Pasa, in 1421. It is a typical example of Ottoman Inn built in a city.

Mahmut Pasa Bazaar

Built by Vizier Mahmut Pasa between 1421 and 1459, it is adjacent to Kursunlu Inn and on the road to the castle. The building is a perfect square, with an east-west orientation. It consists of two parts: the bazaar storage area with 10 domes, and the shops which face outwards. The domed part of the building is now the exhibition hall of the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations.

Sulu Inn

Sulu Inn, also known as Hasan Pasa Inn, is located in the Haci Dogan neighbourhood between Tekneciler Street and Sulu Inn Street. It is claimed that Sulu Inn was built in 1685 by Seyhulislam Cevvar Zade Mehmet Emin Bey and then donated to the Zincirli Mosque. However, to contradict that, the records indicate that it was donated to the mosque in 1141 by Abdulkerimzade Mehmet Emin Bey.

Zagfiran (Safran) Inn

Located in Atpazari, Zagfiran Inn was built in 1512 by Haci Ibrahim Bin Haci Mehmet, a resident of Kayseri who settled in Ankara. Since the organisation was charted in 1512, it is presumed that it was built around this time. Half the Inn is private, half of it is devoted to praying for the soul of the builder, and taking care of the fountain at the entrance to the Lutfi Inn. There is a small mosque inside.

MEMORIALS

Memorials Mimar Sinan Memorial

This memorial is a marble statue of the greatest Turkish architect, Mimar Sinan (1409-1588), wearing clothes original to his own style of dress, and located in front of the Language, History and Geography Faculty. Made by scultor Huseyin Anka, it was commissioned by the Real Estate Loan Bank in 1956.

Guvenlik Memorial

In Guven Park, in the city centre of Kizilay, it was made in 1935 out of local stone. Because it was presented as a gift to the Turkish national police, it is known as the Security Memorial.

Mithat Pasa Memorial

In 1966, the Turkish Republic Agricultural Bank commissioned Professor Huseyin Anka of the Fine Arts Academy in Istanbul to make this sculpture. It is located beside the General Headquarters of the bank in Ulus.

Ulus Republic Memorial

This was erected in 1927 in honour of the heroes of the Turkish War of Independence, and lies in Ulus Square.

Triumph Memorial

On Ataturk Boulevard in Yenisehir in front of Ordu Evi, the Triumph Memorial is a bronze statue of a uniformed Ataturk, standing on his feet and leaning on his sword.

The Bust of Lady Zubeyde

In front of the Ismet Pasa Girls Institute, the bust of Ataturk’s mother Zubeyde was erected March 31 1964 by the United Turkish Women’s Centre, in honour of the greatest of all Turkish mothers.

THEOLOGICAL SCHOOLS, HOSPITALS, ALM’S HOUSES, BATHS

The Old Baths

The Old (Eski) Baths are right across from the Gazi High School. Although the dressing rooms of the baths are in ruins, the sauna and cold rooms including the boiler room are still intact. From the architecture and building techniques used, the structure can be dated back to the 15th century.

Karacabey Baths

Built in 1444, the Karacabey Baths are on the Talat Pasa Boulevard. Originally designed as a double bath, the west wing consists of adjacent dressing rooms and the east wing, built in a style distinctively different from the west wing, houses the saunas. The whole structure forms an almost perfect square.

Sengul Baths

Located on Istiklal Mahallesi on Aci Cesme Street, the Sengul Baths were designed as a double bath for women and men. Sengul Baths on Istiklal Street used to belong to women, and now belongs to the men. From the construction technique and building materials used in the dressing rooms, which are found side by side, it is obvious that the building was built in the 19th century.

RECREATIONAL AREAS

Altinpark

The 640,000 square metre park is on Irfan Bastug Street in Aydinlikevler, and consists of a wide range of facilities which are all open to the public, including sports centres, cultural centres, restaurants, as well as gardens and lakes.

Tel: (+90 312) 317 96 70 / 317 96 96
Fax: (+90 312) 317 6852

Atakule

Atakule has a great influence in Ankara’s modern appearance. The 125-metre tower stands 118.2 metres above the ground, and the 600 sq. metre multi-purpose cocktail bar at the top of the tower is used for weddings, seminars and conferences. The revolving restaurant (111.8m) makes one full revolution every hour. The lookout terrace at 104m is open everyday from 09.30 to 23:00, and there is a café/bar at 100m.

Tel: (+90 312) 440 77 01

Fax: (+90 312) 440 77 02

Ataturk Forest Park

Established by Ataturk, the park is one of the most important recreational areas in Ankara and contains teahouses, picnic areas, a zoo and produces a number of products. City buses, minibuses and community trains provide transportation.

Gençlik Parkı

Between the Train Station and Opera buildings, this is a popular entertainment centre in the summer, with an amusement park, tea-gardens, food shops, summer theatrical productions, a large pond with paddle boats and canoes, restaurants and a variety of amusements. All the facilities in the park are open between May and October.

Bayindir Dam

The Dam is on the Samsun Highway, 12 km from Ankara. With its natural beauty, teahouse, camping area and swimming pool, it is a recreational area popular with foreigners and locals alike. There are buses and minibuses that provide transportation.

The Cankaya Ridge

Located near the Presidential Mansion and the Ataturk Museum, the Ridge offers a picturesque view of the whole city. Even on summer days, park is relatively cool, with sweet shops and teahouses.

Cubuk Dam

The forested area around Cubuk Dam, 12km from Ankara, has picnic areas, small restaurants, teahouses and wonderful hiking trails. It is an excellent place to tour by car, and there are also city bus routes to the area as well.

Golbasi

Located 25 km southwest of Ankara on the Konya Highway, on the shores of Lake Mogan, it has restaurants and coffeehouses as well as a beach and teahouses. This recreational area makes the summer heat more tolerable, especially the swimming pool beside the lake, which is also an excellent place for canoeing. There is a good range of transport provided by city buses.

Other Recreational Areas Include:

MTA Rose Garden, Kurtbogazi Dam, Sariyar Dam, Beynam Recreational Forest, Camkoru Recreational Forest, Guven – Karagol Recreational Forest, Hosebe Recreational Forest, Karagol Recreational Forest , Sorgun Recreational Forest, Sogutozu Recreational Forest, Tekkedagi Recreational Forest and Uluhan Recreational Forest.

PRESERVED AREAS

Closest to the city is Soguksu National Park is in Kizilcahamam, 78km from Ankara, with many species of trees. The wildlife inhabiting the park includes wild boars, bears, wolves, foxes, deer, martins and vultures. Outside the park are partridge and pheasant production farms which are managed by the park directorate. It is a good location for nature walks, trekking and mountaineering, and the park has accommodation and restaurants.

Soğuksu National Park

THERMAL SPRINGS

The most important thermal springs in the province are: Kizilcahamam-Sey, Ayas, Ayas Karakaya, Beypazari-Dutlu-Tahtali, Kapullu, Cubuk Meliksah, and Haymana.

Ankara Thermal Springs

Kızılcahamam Tourist Thermal Spring

Location: Kizilcahamam, 80km north of Ankara.

Water temperature: Buyuk Thermal Spring – 47°C; Kucuk Thermal Spring – 44°C; Kizilcahamam – 19.5°C; Acisu – 34°C; Sey Hamami – 43°C; Acisu Spring – 37°C.

pH value: Buyuk Thermal Spring – 7.06; Kucuk Thermal Spring – 7.45; Kizilcahamam – 6.62; Acisu Thermal Spring – 6.20; Sey Hamami and Acisu Spring – 6.52.

Physical and chemical properties: The various springs contain some or all of the following: hyperthermal, hypertonic, isothermal, bicarbonate, sodium, chlorine, arsenic, carbon dioxide, calcium, carbon dioxide.

Recommended applications: Drinking and bathing

Helps to heal: Drinking – liver, gall bladder, stomach and intestines, internal and external secretions, and poor metabolism. Bathing – heart, vascular system and rheumatism.

Accommodation: Belediye Thermal Hotel – 130 beds. Cam Hotel 81 Beds.

Sey Hamamı Tourist Thermal Resort

Location: 2km from Guvem, which is 15km north of Kizilcahamam and around 80km north of Ankara.

Transport: Guvem is on the highway between Ankara and Cerkes.

Water temperature: 43°C

pH value: 6.5

Physical and chemical properties: Bicarbonate, sodium, calcium, carbon dioxide and fluoride.

Recommended applications: Drinking and bathing

Helps to heal: Rheumatism, joint pain and calcium build-up, stomach and intestinal conditions, poor circulation, nervous disorders, liver and gall bladder conditions and eating disorders.

Accommodation: 14 rooms and 28 beds in the facility.

Bir Cevap Yazın

E-posta hesabınız yayımlanmayacak. Gerekli alanlar * ile işaretlenmişlerdir